I found this recipe on a wordpress blog the other day. I have been on the lookout for a good granola recipe and this one seems like it might be just that.
If the method seems slightly odd and unfamiliar it is because this is a raw food recipe and you can read more about the raw food revolution here and for ingredients that are quite close to home you can source them at Real Raw Food in Naramata.
- 1 cup buckwheat groats, soaked in water overnight
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed, soaked in water overnight
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, soaked in water overnight
- 1/4 cup walnuts, soaked in water overnight
- 1/4 cup almonds, soaked in water overnight
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 apple, cored
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked for 30 minutes in boiling water
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Drain the buckwheat and rinse repeatedly in a strainer. I found it best to run my fingers through the buckwheat as I did this. It took a LONG time to drain it until it wasn't slimey anymore. Offputting indeed, but it's kind of like flax seeds which get slimey when wet. Set aside.
- Drain the sunflower and pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and almonds.
- Put the sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, flax seeds, apple, and sea salt in a food processor and pulse, being very careful not to grind it into a paste. You still want it to have some texture.
- Add the drained dates, cinnamon and agave and process until just blended. Remove from food processor and put in large mixing bowl. Add drained buckwheat groats and coconut. Mix until blended.
- Spread onto teflex sheets and dehydrate for about 10 hours at 115 degrees.
- When the dehydrating is complete, remove the gRAWnola from the teflex sheets and break into small pieces. Store in a container of your choice, though doesn't it look lovely in the glass jar!!!???
- This is a great snack right out of the jar. Or have it for breakfast - I poured pieces of gRAWnola into a small bowl, topped it with strawberries and homemade almond milk and had a yummy breakfast!